Universal Search tool will allow you to search all entities in Dynamics 365 for a specific value or perform a wildcard search against all or specific entities in Dynamics 365:
- To Search for an exact value enter the value in the search bar and click search (e.g. Michael Ochs)
- To perform a wildcard search use an asterisk in your search term (e.g. Mi*Ochs)
- To perform a case sensitive search select the “Match Case” checkbox. NOTE: Case sensitive searches can be slower than regular searches.
The tool can infer the types of fields to search based on the search criteria entered. For example.
- If you enter a value that can be converted to GUID (ID in Dynamics) then Lookups, Keys, Owners and Customer fields will be searched for the specific GUID in addition to search text fields for the value.
- If you enter a value that can be converted to a whole number (e.g. 1,2,3 etc.) then Numbers, State, StatusCode and OptionSets will be searched in addition to text fields for the same value.
- If you enter a value that can be converted to a decimal value (e.g. 1.23, 10.43 etc.) then float, decimal, double and currency fields will be searched.
The tool will only search fields that are valid for search through the Dynamics SDK and will only display results for fields that are readable through the SDK. A maximum of 5000 results will be shown per entity in the search results. The tool will highlight the field that contains the value specified and you can double click on a row to open the specific record in your browser that contains the search text.